As usual, we had a large group of boys and adults go to Summer Camp this year. We went to Camp Wanocksett in Dublin, New Hampshire.
You can see all of the pictures in the Facebook photo album.
SUMMER CAMP – GENERAL NOTES
- Parent/Adult participation will be needed for transportation to and from camp.
- Scouts should arrive at the church the morning of departure wearing their Dress Uniforms and their swimsuits (under other pants if they prefer) and with a towel handy. This is due to the swim check all scouts participate in upon arrival to camp.
- Please DO NOT send your son to camp with a cell phone. This is a week where they can get away, and you will be able to get in touch with any of the leaders easily.
- PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR SON'S CELL PHONE STAYS HOME IF HE HAS ONE.
- Not for use as a camera, music player, or anything else.
- An MP3 player or something similar IS allowed while in your tent, but that does NOT allow you to bring your Cell Phone just to play music.
- They will be confiscated and returned to the parents at the end of the week if we see/hear them.
- This applies to EVERY SINGLE YOUTH SCOUT!!!
- If your son is registered for any of the Brown Sea Island sessions he will probably go on an "outdoor excursion" for one of the nights, so he may want to bring a tent/bed roll for that night.
- Please make sure that your son has the merit badge books for his classes, or has money to buy them. Our troop library is WOEFULLY out of date, and most of the merit badge books are not accepted by the councilors because they are so old.
- Tent Assignments - Boys will decide on their tent-mates when we get to the church for check-in, but we are not opposed to a little bit of pre-preparation. There is nothing worse than a scout who thinks that he is tenting with his buddy, only to find out that his buddy didn't have the same idea.
- Bug Nets: A bug net is ABSOLUTELY necessary. Please don't forget your bug net, poles, and Soda Bottles (if you use the "over everything" method of set up).
TROOP CHECK-IN NOTES (prior to departure):
Troop Check-in for Camp is done at the church on the morning of departure. There are several stations set up to check in/pay the following items:
- Medical - Verify medical forms are complete and check in any medication. PLEASE handle any issues in advance! Please have medications in a plastic zip lock back with your scout's name on it, preferably also labelled with dosage instructions. All medications MUST be in the original packaging with the original labelling. The camp will not accept repackaged medications.
- Bank - Check in spending money (small bills PLEASE!) for the Trading Post. CASH ONLY! Please remember that your son may need to buy Merit Badge Books or additional supplies for his Merit Badges.
- Mail - If anyone wants to drop mail for their scouts at check in, it should go to the "bank" station. Then it will be put into the bank and can be distributed.
- Photos - All Troops have a “class” photo taken during the camp check-in. Each scout has the opportunity to purchase one. Please be prepared with a check or cash at the church check-in for this. Cost is approximately $11 per photo.
- Class-B pickup - For anyone who has ordered shirts (or other items) and have not received them or picked them up prior to camp, you can pick them up at check-in
- A check is acceptable for the troop photo, but we would prefer a separate check, so if you also need to pay for Activity Uniforms, please bring 2 checks.
CAMP CHECK-IN NOTES (upon arrival):
Upon arrival to camp, there will be a check-in process for all scouts. That process consists of:
- Medical check
- Troop photo
- Swim check.
So scouts should arrive at the church wearing their Dress Uniforms and their swimsuits (under other pants if they prefer) and with a towel handy. After the swim check we will be able to go back to our site and change. But we may not have access to the trunks until after the photo and swim check, so please wear the stuff for that.
MORE INFORMATION WILL BE PROVIDED PRIOR TO CAMP